Saturday

Letters to Juliet

Sappy romantic movies with sappier songs.
"Fluffy, plot-less, brain dead movie" I kept reiterating to the pair of hapless friends who were suckered one way or another to watch it with me.

This was because I was not sure myself why the synopsis of the movie "Letters to Juliet" appealed to me until I watched it.

I did not want any unrealistic expectations of the movie and warnings of snoring from the duo were issued back to me. 

Duh.

And the movie turned out exactly as I knew it was created for: a sappy  fluffy feel-good romantic comedy for romantics.

And it delivered what it promised upfront. From the beginning of the movie with lots of sappy couples kissing (and omg, the PG rating is due to a painting which depicted ONE half naked woman..can someone tell MDA to loosen up?) amidst a super catchy sappy love song (please refer to my earlier blog post), there was no necessity to use any braincells except to go with the flow. 

Incidentally I did recall reading somewhere that the couple kissing at Times Square was actually staged and not real. Hmmmm, I could be wrong. Oh well.

Anyway, the plot is simple. Girl went on a pre-honeymoon (already you can sense the marriage will be called off for who goes for pre-honeymoon anyway) with fiance. Girl felt left out by said fiance and went exploring alone. Girl got caught up in an exciting, romantic quest with cute granny and cuter grandson. Girl and cute grandson had chemistry, Girl left after the quest was completed. Girl decided to erm  follow her heart (hahahah), girl went back to cute grandson. Happily ever after!

So what exactly made it worked? The lush sweeping golden countryside and the story of a love that transcends time (Claire and Lorenzo) made it beautiful. Despite the lapse of 50 years, the older pair of lovers reunited and the actress who played Claire convincingly brought forth a woman who decided to live her life without regrets; gray hairs, slouchy back and dignity to pull it off.

Watch the movie, if you have time to spare. The selection of music is really not that bad either.



No comments:

Post a Comment