Thursday

Chemistry or just personality styles?

I had a nice chat with a friend regarding the intricacies of human dynamics. And I commented that it could be that some people click more comfortably to another due to their type personality. That friend merely laughed and said it is all to do with chemistry.


I rolled my eyes but wondered.

Chemistry...such a scientific term to refer to the most unscientific thing of all: the feelings of the human heart but in a way, it's true. So long as there are human interaction, what that determine whether 2 person can click or want to murder each other has to do with chemistry.

Ever have the feeling that with some people, you can start a party immediately while another made your hands itch to slap?

Chemistry is the determining factor. 
And the scariest thing about it?
It is as elusive as the magical toto number which I sought in my dream.
You might share chemistry with a person and 2 months down the road, it disappeared!
Elusive, impermanent with no life-time warranty to it.

This applied to the ties within the family. Think about CNY and those horrible sessions where you have to sit through (at least for me) and endure the small talk.
"Oh, so you are not the youngest kid of XXX but the eldest!!!! (they always confused me with my youngest sister)So, married already or not? No???!!! How come not yet? Aiyo ...."

On occasions like these, some relatives are just easier to bear with so I would smile and banter back while others..... >< my fondest dream was to stuff them down the toilet and pull the flush.

Again, its chemistry that made the same remark more bearable to hear from some while gratingly irritating from others.

Same principle applied in the workplace/social gatherings. There are colleagues/friends with whom I can crack jokes with or make sarcastic comments and know they will get where I am coming from and vice versa. But with others, even if there's nothing unpleasant between us, I avoid just even going near them.
If you play the Sims game, you can almost see the “red alert sign” on top of my head.


The chatter of talk will just trickle to a natural stop. There are times I wondered and self reflected if I had stepped on his/her's toes to cause the drastic change in attitude while in reality, it could simply be a case of no chemistry!
In the end, I guess there is some truth to the saying "birds of the same feather, flock together". People whom we instinctively think share a similar belief are people you will naturally gravitate towards.

So the performers will naturally bond(real or plastic roses, who cares? hahaha), feelers float towards each other to hold hands while the thinkers erm, think?

A sunny colleague told me once that we cannot control how others think or act. And we can never please everyone and be liked by all. This goes against my personal belief to be nice to everyone as people are generally nice if you are nice to them in the first place.

I realise to my horror/amusement that this was quite impossible to do this year. There are quite a number of people whom I itch to slap (hahah, kidding, really kidding...)

So yes, I cannot control how others perceive me but I can control my actions. So hence I will only hang out with people with whom I can click with and politely avoid those whom I can't.

Enjoy the company of those with whom the elusive chemistry is now shared with and erm, make sure the hands stay safely tucked in the pockets when I find myself stuck with those I share none :P

PS: I am kidding about slapping people. Really :P

No comments:

Post a Comment