Saturday

perspectives and social responsibility

I am perfectly serious regarding social responsibility. Jokes aside about wearing masks, some experiences in life do make an impact and after this latest bout of illness, I guessed I made some(?) small steps to be more considerate.

This means not reporting to work when I am down with contagious bugs...like cough and flu.
And to wear a mask when I report back to office..

No, not to attract or seek attention (roll eyes). But really to do my part and display social responsibility.
Simply because not everyone can afford (figuratively and literally) to fall ill.

The total medical bill to date is a whooping 3 digits and as I am still not recovered, the amount will grow further. Chinese medicine can be really expensive.

I told a good friend that if I was staying alone, I might not recover (as in able to get out of the bed) even by today because between the throwing up (major yucks) and giddiness, there is no way I could cook or even buy food for myself.

Heh, I might even burn the place down since I was virtually knocked out stone cold once the sedatives took effect.

My point is, not many can afford the medical fees nor have the luxury of a family member who can take care of them. Some could be as unfortunate as me who is allergic to so many types of medication.

Falling sick therefore is a genuine fear.

How can I therefore not be more socially responsible?!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recalled that when I was teaching, I used to push myself to work even when I was very ill. There was this sense of responsibility; yes, of burden that if I did not turn up to teach, my students would be disadvantaged for precious curriculum time would be wasted.

I recalled then too that I was unhappy whenever my ex-colleagues went on medical leave because that means I had to relieve their classes during my free periods.

The basic line of thought was questioning why I had to relieve another person's class as he/she went on medical leave when I was also unwell myself. I guess self righteous should be a very apt word to describe me then.

Looking back, I am sure I must come across as very harsh though I never once verbally shared my thoughts. Some things need not be spoken, body language speaks loud and clear.

And I really wondered now how effective the lessons were.
I mean, the students were naturally appreciative I turned up despite being half dead...but really, how effective was the teaching and learning?

And how many people, especially teachers now in schools share my feelings then?
And how and if such mindsets be changed?

Questions with no answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment