Sunday

follies of human

My sister asked me why I nearly bit her head off over her casual comment on the JN's affair.

"Life is more than that, he is not a relative of us, why are you so angry over what I said?" She was puzzled why I nearly jumped on her when she shared her sympathy for his wife, the 4 children and the man himself.

I think enough have been said about his infidelity and really, at its core, none of us except the wifey, the young model (whom I do feel quite sorry for)  and the 4 kids have a say in this matter.
We are only humans, our follies and imperfections in the package.

Though I have to say, I totally disagree with his decision of dragging his wife into the whole mess. I watched the press conference and it was a really traumatic experience for anyone to bear.

Come on, 一人做事一人当!
He could have stopped his wife and prevent her from going through the ordeal and I am sure he allowed it because (whether consciously or not), her very public appeal and breakdown would help to soften the public's reaction towards him. I thought this act was very telling.

Anyway, what particularly gets at me are the stories he kept sprouting in order to dig himself out of trouble. Little acts that do not show a very pleasant character.

And ironically it is precisely those stories he said that lent creditibilty to the claims by the other 10 girls who came forth with their versions of what transpired.The common thread running in their versions showed that there exists a real possibility that he used his status as Singapore's most well-known director to prey on girls.

And it is precisely this that angered me.

If he tried to seduce mature women, well, I think mature women should know better than start affairs with married men.

But he went after young girls.

Young girls barely out of their teens and therefore less equipped to deal with such situations.

I used the word "prey" because working with teenagers before, especially the girls who aspire to be stars, they are really very vulnerable and very easy targets.
I can easily imagine one of them landing herself in the same predicament or even worse.


Perhaps some takeaways from this whole mediafest:
a) for parents of young children: it is important to educate your kids to be streetsmart and savvy.

b) for all, please do not just trust based on a book's covering. 外在的包装是不可靠的。
I mean a person's job, academic qualification, social status does not equate to the true soul that lies within.

c) in this digital media age, whatever you say will literally come back and haunt you. If JN recalled that SMSes can be kept, and video conferences replayed a zillion time to be dissected, he might be more cautious with how he craft his excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment