Sunday

Impressions of China (Part 1)

I just returned from my first trip to China, a super long 14 days in Beijing, the capital of China.
I was apprehensive initially as I had not travelled alone for many years (technically I went with a group but really, I knew no one then so..)but my study mates eased my need for social contact and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Sometimes, the least planned plan offered the most enjoyment :D

It is impossible in a brief blog post to give a detailed write-up on my visit, or to comment meaningfully about the issues confronting China.

I rather think my impressions are more frivolous since the entire trip resolves around sightseeing and of course eating and shopping. But I guess I can attempt to offer a glimpse to some apparent observations related to the key issues that occurred in developing countries and in this case: China.

Environmental conditions in China: .
It is well-known that China has an issue with pollution due to industrialization. Air visibility can sometimes be so bad that we can hardly see across the next few streets though to be fair, this occurs occasionally in the 2 weeks I spent there. Frankly, I was expecting the air pollution to be worse than it was, or at least somewhat similar to Macau.

On the other hand, I did not find the water condition that horrifying as reported in the news. Most of my studymates bought mineral water to drink. As for me, in my attempt to save cash and of course to make use of the limited facilities in the room (aka there is a kettle), I decided to boil water.

I have to say, the water is kinda milky in color but I still drank daily for 2 weeks.
End results: I am alive and the usual travel problem that plagued me while travelling aka constipation was never an issue. My digestive system was fully operational! heheheh

Spitting is another problem.
I really could not understand the Chinese culture of spitting and took to hopping aside madly whenever I heard anyone spit. I once mused aloud if it was passed down through the generations (as in monkey see, monkey do,kinda like what the Japanese children learn while on their mothers' backs.) or due to environmental conditions given that the northern part of China is dustier.
I guessed I would never know as it is really rather rude to ask the locals about this custom.

While I do understand the need to understand another's culture before imposing any judgement, I admitted sheepishly to Xuemei that I found spitting to be extremely gross more so because it imposed upon my personal comfort. As in,I had this fear that the spit might hit me or be stepped upon unknowingly.
So sometimes I guess what we found offensive in another is due to personal preference. (Yup, I could argue that spitting is unhygienic but really, compared the numbers of H1N1 cases in China and Japan...you get the drift)

Economy
Disclaimer: Below is merely what I observed through my shopping attempts in Beijing.

Beijing came across as bustling and very vibrant, and in some parts of Beijing, I thought I was in Hong Kong or even New York.

















This was taken in 前海.










































However, the rapid development of China has its toil in her people and most locals appeared to be very impatient and under tremedoulous stress.

Similar to any developing countries, the locals appeared to abandon social niceties in their attempt to get rich quickly. Quarrels are frequently witnessed and occasionally fights took place. Fights among ladies are not uncommon too.

Almost everyone spoke rapidly and at extremely loud volumes and you can understand my bewilderment when the Beijinger talked to me and I had completely no idea what they are saying and why they sounded so angry and aggressive.

To literally get rich overnight appeared not to be impossible in China and the people all clamoured to belong to the above group. Scams are abundant and I personally witnessed a few cases which happened to my studymates and mind you, these occurred in shopping malls and not roadside stalls.

I guess condensing what other countries took a hundred years to develop to thirty years had its obvious disadvantages and the people suffered from this "disease" brought by rapid economic development.

Note: Beijinger referred to those who are born in Beijing and used their dialect 北京话 to communicate. Incidentally, 普通话 is not 北京话

Language
I never claimed to be any linguistic expert and though people have often commented that I am effectively bilingual, I knew I am no expert in either language.

And the vast difference between these 2 languages had often given me an identity crisis. For those who understand, using English or Chinese will influence the way you think, feel and express your thoughts.

I digress, the point I was trying to bring across was that the one advantage which I used to enjoy i.e the ability to speak Chinese with perfect intonation when I wished to was one which caused me much problems in Beijing.

Much to my bemusement, I realised ironically that the locals treated me with less indulgence precisely due to the way I speak. More than once, I was ignored by them. Or worse, being treated like a local.

I also noticed that the locals understood English far better than they claimed and at tourist attractions, it was not uncommon to hear them spoke a variety of languages: Spanish, Japanese etc.

Win ( who incidentally is learning Chinese) was well regarded by them and his mixture of English, Chinese and body language was far better received than mine.


(-___________________-)

No comments:

Post a Comment